Monday, February 25, 2008

I'm sorry, I thought this was America.

"I believe that America's free market has been the engine of America's great progress. It's created a prosperity that is the envy of the world." B. Obama

"Barack Obama will raise the minimum wage"...from the Obama website.

Free market indeed. Nothing more free about a market than dictating labor cost. Excuse me, comrade, while I read the latest dispatch from the Politburo. Businesses have to pay their employees, right? When the cost of doing business increases for a company due to increased labor costs, they have to do one of two things - cut the workforce or raise prices. Just which of these two options helps the American worker? When a "mom and pop" small business suddenly has its' labor cost rise, through no choice of their own, what will they do? Who is more suited to withstand an increase in labor cost, Mega Corp or Mom and Pop's General Store? Goodbye, Mom and Pop's.

I'm sorry. I forgot - we are "hoping" for a "change" in the economy. If your idea of "change" is the government deciding labor cost in a "free" market, then I "hope" you are not the worker who loses your job.

1 comment:

Tony said...

Are you saying we shouldn't have a minimum wage and that we should trust companies to pay all their employees a fair wage? Somehow I don't see that working out too well, given the greed of people in general.

And I must say, I'm ecstatic to see you standing up for small business establishments. Maybe you could join me in my personal boycott of Wal-Mart; arguably the largest destroyer of Mom 'n Pop stores in modern history.