Sunday, June 15, 2008

In another post about the increase in the minimum wage, I wrote:

""Barack Obama will raise the minimum wage"...from the Obama website.

Free market indeed. Nothing more free about a market than dictating labor cost. Excuse me, comrade, while I read the latest dispatch from the Politburo. Businesses have to pay their employees, right? When the cost of doing business increases for a company due to increased labor costs, they have to do one of two things - cut the workforce or raise prices. Just which of these two options helps the American worker? When a "mom and pop" small business suddenly has its' labor cost rise, through no choice of their own, what will they do? Who is more suited to withstand an increase in labor cost, Mega Corp or Mom and Pop's General Store? Goodbye, Mom and Pop's.

I'm sorry. I forgot - we are "hoping" for a "change" in the economy. If your idea of "change" is the government deciding labor cost in a "free" market, then I "hope" you are not the worker who loses your job."


Well...

This is what I was talking about.

Hope and Change, indeed.

4 comments:

Tony said...

I love how the majority of the 60+ comments to the linked article are either people debunking the author's opinions and misinterpretations with linked facts, or they're comments from the author himself trying to defend against the debunking (and not doing a very good job of it). Looks to me like it's yet another instance of someone twisting facts and using buzz words to push an agenda.

And I really love how you're standing up for the Mom 'n Pop stores all of a sudden. Ever shop at Wal-Mart? How about Target? Best Buy? Every big-chain store you patronize and buy from is an instance of you yourself taking money directly from the hands of small Mom 'n Pop stores and giving it to big business instead.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Rob Montgomery said...

Yes - liberals commenting and trying to debunk facts. Solid arguments there. Of course you think the author doesn't do a good job of debunking the arguments, since you agree with government control of damn near everything.

Simple economics, Tony. If a company has a set amount they can spend on labor costs, an increase in the minimum wage will reduce the amount of workers they can hire (or raise prices, which helps who?. It's not that difficult to understand.

You do understand, of course, that I'm not saying that it is wrong to shop at major chains. I'm saying that those who are for wage controls only HURT the mom and pop stores they claim to want to protect.

Tony said...

Actually, I find the idea of big government and them having a controlling influence in everything to be one of the most repugnant things I can imagine. I read the article and the comments, felt the people arguing against the author presented a better case and provided more solid facts for their side, and based my opinion accordingly. Simple as that.

The Minimum Wage and its effects on small business isn't really as simple as you claim. Do a quick Google search on the topic and you'll see a whole slew of arguments on both sides of the fence about it. Some say it helps, others say it hurts, and many others are in the middle about it. Personally I have no opinion on it either way.

My mistake on the Mom 'n Pop thing; I thought you were actually interested in helping them.

Rob Montgomery said...

You say you find government control repugnant and yet you are willing to allow the government to control and fix labor costs? That makes sense.

You have no opinion on the effects of a minimum wage on small business, and yet you agree with the liberals that an increase in minimum wage does not lead to fewer jobs? Then what point are you arguing?